This Isn’t the Petition Response You’re Looking For
The official White House response to a petition to secure resources and funding, and begin construction of a Death Star by 2016:
By Paul Shawcross
The Administration shares your desire for job creation and a strong national defense, but a Death Star isn’t on the horizon. Here are a few reasons:
- The construction of the Death Star has been estimated to cost more than $850,000,000,000,000,000. We’re working hard to reduce the deficit, not expand it.
- The Administration does not support blowing up planets.
- Why would we spend countless taxpayer dollars on a Death Star with a fundamental flaw that can be exploited by a one-man starship?
However, look carefully (here’s how) and you’ll notice something already floating in the sky—that’s no Moon, it’s a Space Station! Yes, we already have a giant, football field-sized International Space Station in orbit around the Earth that’s helping us learn how humans can live and thrive in space for long durations. The Space Station has six astronauts—American, Russian, and Canadian—living in it right now, conducting research, learning how to live and work in space over long periods of time, routinely welcoming visiting spacecraft and repairing onboard garbage mashers, etc. We’ve also got two robot science labs—one wielding a laser—roving around Mars, looking at whether life ever existed on the Red Planet.
Keep in mind, space is no longer just government-only. Private American companies, through NASA’s Commercial Crew and Cargo Program Office (C3PO), are ferrying cargo—and soon, crew—to space for NASA, and are pursuing human missions to the Moon this decade.
Even though the United States doesn’t have anything that can do the Kessel Run in less than 12 parsecs, we’ve got two spacecraft leaving the Solar System and we’re building a probe that will fly to the exterior layers of the Sun. We are discovering hundreds of new planets in other star systems and building a much more powerful successor to the Hubble Space Telescope that will see back to the early days of the universe.
We don’t have a Death Star, but we do have floating robot assistants on the Space Station, a President who knows his way around a light saber and advanced (marshmallow) cannon, and the Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency, which is supporting research on building Luke’s arm, floating droids, and quadruped walkers.
We are living in the future! Enjoy it. Or better yet, help build it by pursuing a career in a science, technology, engineering or math-related field. The President has held the first-ever White House science fairs and Astronomy Night on the South Lawn because he knows these domains are critical to our country’s future, and to ensuring the United States continues leading the world in doing big things.
If you do pursue a career in a science, technology, engineering or math-related field, the Force will be with us! Remember, the Death Star’s power to destroy a planet, or even a whole star system, is insignificant next to the power of the Force.
Paul Shawcross is Chief of the Science and Space Branch at the White House Office of Management and Budget
Funny story, that NASA Commercial Crew program they mention here? Yeah, that’s what I work on.
7178 Notes/ Hide
- thiagovscoelho likes this
- seodealz likes this
- slim-docker-49 likes this
- rikusoreos likes this
- alex-the-jewellery likes this
- abreathfromcatastrophe likes this
- jesusincrocs likes this
- sydneytilley likes this
- canitouch-yourmango reblogged this from barackobama
- canitouch-yourmango likes this
- insert-creative-phrase-here likes this
- constrution-bamford reblogged this from barackobama
- tallyvvacker reblogged this from barackobama
- 10-sion likes this
- kdjinx likes this
- obamasupporter likes this
- hiddenfireworks likes this
- landof10000lakes likes this
- sp-as-ti-c likes this
- calendrical reblogged this from barackobama and added:
- cerberus1981 reblogged this from barackobama and added:
- vanspoor reblogged this from barackobama
- emmameetsworld likes this
- emilythefig reblogged this from barackobama
- cubisttragedy reblogged this from barackobama and added:
- coffeesweetbalm reblogged this from barackobama
- frightfullytwee reblogged this from barackobama
- hillpickles likes this
- seanmartins23 likes this
- fliting reblogged this from manic-intent
- fliting likes this
- storagestation likes this
- rynnagain reblogged this from barackobama
- thingstodoandthingstosee reblogged this from barackobama
- mydreamisnotyours reblogged this from barackobama
- beyondebrilliant likes this
- sanctusflammae reblogged this from sassygayfushimi
- onenaughtymother reblogged this from sexysize14plus
- victoriaarielle reblogged this from barackobama and added:
- scoutless55 likes this
- countessjoliba likes this
- gigislittleshop reblogged this from minusthebox
- yellowonesdontstop likes this
- shionsnezumi reblogged this from sassygayfushimi
- sassygayfushimi reblogged this from thisfruitisnotamelon
- thefourthandfrattiest reblogged this from diamondspearlsandemeralds
- ducksbellorum reblogged this from flatbear
- fatelovelarry likes this
- queenanthai likes this
- fullnelsonclan reblogged this from barackobama